• 03 - 7967 7712
  • studyabroad@um.edu.my

FQA - Visa Unit - Students


VISA APPROVAL LETTER (VAL) (for applicants applying from outside of Malaysia)


I am a new student. How canI apply for VAL?

You can apply VAL through EMGS Portal:http://educationmalaysia.gov.my.


How I can receive the VAL from UM?

Visa Unit, International Student Centre (ISC)will collect VAL from EMGS and distribute to student e-mail and by courier to Malaysian Embassy/High Consulate in your country.


What is the next process after I receive the VAL?

After receiving the VAL, kindly bring passport and VAL to Malaysian Embassy in your country to obtain the single entry visa stamp in your passport .


Can I travel to Malaysia one (1) month before registration day at UM?

To avoid unnecessary issues, you are required to travel to Malaysia one (1) week prior to yourregistration. We will not hold any responsibility towards candidate who were denied from student visa.



Can I study using only social visit pass / tourist visa?

No, this is not permitted. International students are only permitted to study full time courses in Malaysia with a valid student pass issued by the Immigration Department.

You will be denied from getting a Student Pass and will be asked to exit Malaysia and re-enter with using the VAL.



What is a Student Pass?

A student pass is a multiple entry visa which gives you permission to remain in Malaysia for the purposes of study.


I am a Master Student from UM and will be continued my study also at UM for PhD programme, do I need apply a new application for Student Pass?


Yes, you need to apply for new student pass. In this case, you need to register for the program and then apply for new student pass.


When should I apply for the extension pass?



Students are required to apply for the extension pass THREE(3) months before the expiry date and the latest being not more than six weeks before the expiry date of the student pass. Any delay will result in students being required to pay the charges for Special Pass.


What will happen if I overstay?

Your case will be referred to Enforcement Unit, Malaysian Immigration Department. Penalty fees are at the discretion of the Immigration Department. Subsequently, you will need to apply for a special pass to ensure that you have a valid pass throughout your stay in Malaysia.


What should I do if I have a new passport but the visa is still valid in the old passport?


You need to apply for Transfer endorsement through Visa Unit, ISC, UM.


The application status at the EMGS website shows 100% completion. Does that mean I can collect my passport at the Visa Unit, ISC?


No. There will be a few other procedures whereEMGS needs to finalise before informing us officially to collect. Once collected, the Visa Unit will need three daysfor documentation and record purposes before the final email to be sent to students for collection.


Why there is no change or update in the application status in the website where the commonly seen status is “pending submission document” whereas I have already submitted all the required documents.



Students are not able to see the work and progress of application behind the scenes in which the Visa Unit has made two applications simultaneously to EMGS which are the Extension Pass and Special Pass.

The status “pending document” means the passport is still under the process of Special Pass application by the Immigration Department and only when the passport is ready with a valid pass that the Visa Unit will only be able to collect the passport to be then sent to EMGS for the issuance of sticker.


Why the status in the EMGS website still states“pending payment” although I have completed the payment?

After payment has been made to EMGS by students, the EMGS will proceed with the application for the immigration approval of your application. 


I am PhD student and I’m received a minor correction after viva-voce, can I renew my student pass?

You are not allowed to extend your student pass.


I am currently waiting for my convocation and can I apply for extension pass?

The same goes to those waiting for convocation where students are required to cancel their current student pass and to return to their home country. On the date of the convocation, students can enter Malaysia using the Social Visit Pass.



When I can bring my family/dependent into Malaysia?

Only Postgraduate student are allowed to bring their dependent. Students were advised to enter this country alone at first prior to issuance of Student Pass. Dependent Pass can only be applied after the Student Pass issued.


Who can have the dependents pass?

Your biological parents, spouse and your children are allowed to be given the dependent pass.


I have a valid dependent pass, can I register with UM as student?

Yes, but you have to cancel/shorten your dependent pass after you’re registered at Institute Graduate Studies, UM. Then apply for the new student pass through Visa Unit, ISC, UM.